Minimum Eligibility Criteria for Admission
Admission is purely merit based and rests solely on the following factors:
- Academic record
- Performance in the Admission Test(s)
- Submission of a completed application form (online) and all required supporting documents
- Letters of recommendation
Applicants are eligible to apply for admission if they fulfill one of the following academic qualifications:
- Minimum of sixteen (16) years of education leading to a Masters or Bachelors (four-year) degree recognized by the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Pakistan;
- Three-year Bachelors degree from an international university recognized by the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Pakistan.
Candidates who have obtained their degrees from institutions that are not listed with the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Pakistan will be required to obtain an “Equivalence Certificate” from the HEC. Contact information is given below:
Contact information is:
The Director (A&C)
Higher Education Commission
Sector H-9, East Service Road
Applicants with insufficient training in Mathematics/Economics are strongly advised to apply for the Two-Year track option. The final decision regarding eligibility for the One-Year or Two-Year Programme will be taken by the Admissions Committee.
Performance in the Admission Test(s)
Applicants need to take either LUMS Graduate Admission Test (LGAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) - General to be considered for admission to the MSc. Economics Programme.
All applicants applying to the MSc. Economics Programme (One-Year Track) must take the LUMS Economics Placement Test in addition to the above mentioned test(s).
LUMS Graduate Admission Test (LGAT)
Applicants applying to the MSc. Economics Programme may take the LUMS Graduate Admission Test (LGAT), which is comprised of quantitative, verbal, and analytical sections. Please note that the LGAT will be held on May 18, 2013. LGAT will be administered in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
GRE (General) is offered as a computer adaptive test worldwide. Applicants need to take the GRE through the Educational Testing Service (ETS), USA latest by April 26, 2013 in order to be considered for admission.
GRE (General) scores must be reported to LUMS officially by the testing agency. The college code for reporting GRE (General) scores to LUMS is 0679. GRE taken five years before the admission deadline will not be considered valid.
LUMS Economics Placement Test (only for One-year Track)
All students applying to the MSc. Economics Programme (One-Year Track) must take the LUMS Economics Placement Test. This test will be based on Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics and Basic Econometrics. The Placement Test will be administered in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad on May 18, 2013.
LUMS Undergraduate Students
Students should have sufficient course work in Economics and meet the following criteria:
- SCGPA of 3.00 or above in Economics; and
- SCGPA of 3.00 or above in Mathematics
Direct admission will be suited to the following majors
- Economics and Mathematics
- Economics and Political Science
Direct admission does not mean that the students will be directly admitted. They will only be exempted from all the tests and admission will be based on merit.
Please note that the deadline to apply for the Fall 2013 session in the MSc Economics programme is May 30, 2013. The application forms are available at https://admissions.lums.edu.pk/index.php
LUMS Graduated Students
LUMS students who have graduated on and before June 2012 are required to take the LUMS Economics Placement Test and LGAT or GRE.
Submission of a Completed Application Form
Applicants must complete and submit their online application form on or before April 30, 2013; 5:00 p.m (PST).
The application form can be accessed online at http://admissions.lums.edu.pk. In addition, all applicants are required to submit the following supporting documents to the LUMS Admissions Office on or before April 30, 2013:
Attested/Certified copies of complete academic transcripts and certificates of:
- Secondary School Level
- Intermediate Level
- Bachelor's Level
- Master's Level (if applicable)
Note: Applicants who have not completed their latest degree must complete it before the commencement of classes for the Fall 2013 session. They are required to submit a copy of their latest transcript along with other supporting documents on or before the submission deadline.
- Two complete Letters of Recommendation in sealed envelopes;
- GRE Score report (if applicable);
- Four passport size photographs with white background;
- Two copies of the National Identity Card or valid Passport
- The application processing fee of Rs 4,400* (for Pakistani Residents only);
- The application processing fee of US $100 (for Foreign/overseas residents only);
- The LGAT & LUMS Economics Placement Test registration fee of Rs 2,750*;
- Proof of payment;
All supporting documents (where applicable)
- Supporting documents for Financial Aid (as specified in the online application form)
- Additional Information documents
Application processing and Admission Test (s) registration fee can be paid:
- Through a bank draft/pay order drawn in favour of the Lahore University of Management Sciences;
- By depositing cash at the MCB booth located on the LUMS campus
Please send proof of payment along with all other required supporting documents as ONE package on or before April 30, 2013.
Documents sent/postmarked after April 30, 2013 will not be processed.