The Gurmani Centre for Languages and Literature (GCLL) at the Lahore University of Management Sciences was initiated by the Gurmani Foundation on Friday April 09, 2010, for the advancement of Arabic, Persian, Urdu and other Pakistani languages.
The Centre is part of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) and promotes languages and their literatures through teaching, research/publication and its outreach programme.
The Gurmani Centre Steering Committee was formulated to deal with policy matters of the Centre. Members include the Vice Chancellor, Dean of SHSSL, Head of the Social Sciences Department and Coordinator of the Centre. Yasmeen Hameed is the Coordinator and also takes care of teaching and the outreach programme of the Centre. Dr. Syed Noman-ul-Haq is incharge of research and publication. He is editor of the journal Bunyad. A team of researchers is also associated with the Centre.
- Instruction in Arabic, Persian and Urdu
- Research in these languages and their literatures
- Academic and literary events for the promotion of these languages
- Research and instruction in Pakistani languages other than Urdu
- Association with other such centres across the world
- Instruction in these languages and their classical and modern literature
- Research in these languages and their literature
- Arrangement of academic and literary events and workshops
- Regular publication of a research journal
- Regular publication of a students' magazine
- Special courses for the LUMS community as well as for people from outside LUMS
- Addition of books to the LUMS library
- Translation of standard works
- Establishing an academic/creative writing centre for Urdu
- Fellowships for Pakistani and international scholars