BA (Honours) History
Minimum Eligibility Criteria for Admission
Students are selected for admission to LUMS Undergraduate Programmes based on the following factors:
- Academic Background
- Performance in the Admission Test
- Submission of a completed application form and supporting documents
- Interview (if called)
Applicants who apply to multiple schools are considered separately for each school. Admission in a specific school is based on merit and the availability of seats.
I. Academic Background
Applicants who have successfully completed FA/ICS/ICOM/FSc/A’ Levels/High School Diploma or International Baccalaureate (IB) are eligible to apply for admission if they fulfill one of the following academic qualifications:
- Successful completion of Matric (60% marks or above) and FA (60% marks or above)/FSc/ ICS/ICOM (65% marks or above)
- O’ Levels results (in at least 6 subjects) with an average grade of at least 'C' and A’ Levels in at least 3 principal subjects1 with at least 2 Bs and 1 C grade such that there should be no more than 1 C grade and no grade less than a C. No credit will be given for General Paper.
- American High School Diploma (HSD) (65% or above/Grade point average of B- or above)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) (at least 28 out of 45 points)
- Combination of the above
- Any other equivalent qualification (minimum acceptable scores will be determined by the Admissions Committee)
Applicants who have not taken the final exams of their FA/ICS/ICOM/FSc/A’ Levels (in three principal subjects)/High School Diploma or International Baccalaureate (IB) as yet and are expecting their final results by August 2014 will be given a conditional offer. Applicants must fulfill one of the following academic qualifications to be considered for a conditional offer:
- Successful completion of Matric (with at least 60% marks) and FA 1st year (60% marks or above)/FSc/ICS/ICOM 1st year (65% marks or above)
- O Levels results (in at least six subjects) with an average grade of at least 'C'
- American High School Diploma (9th, 10th, 11th & 12th year’s first semester) results with 65% marks or above/Grade point average of B- or above
- International Baccalaureate (first year) results (at least 28 out of 45 points)
To join LUMS in Fall, applicants who are made a conditional offer must subsequently meet the conditions stipulated by the Admissions Committee.
- Candidates who have either completed or are in the last year of completion of 12 years of education which does not lead to FA/ICS/ICOM/FSc/A’ Levels or International Baccalaureate Certification will be required to get an equivalence certificate from the Inter Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC), Pakistan. For further information please visit: http://www.ibcc.edu.pk
- Candidates who have already completed their A' Levels (have taken the exam of minimum three A’ level principal subjects 1 ) and do not meet the minimum grades requirement (specified in subsection I–a) must improve their grades in order to be eligible for admission. A' Levels Exams are held in November and June. To be eligible for the admission in 2014, students must improve their A' Level grades in November 2013 exams. Applicants planning to improve their grades by taking June 2014 exams are not eligible for the Fall 2014 session.
II. Performance in the Admission Test
The LUMS Common Admission Test (LCAT) is mandatory for all applicants (except applicants residing abroad) applying to the Suleman Dawood School of Business (SDSB)/the Mushtaq Ahmad Gurmani School of Humanities & Social Sciences (MGSHSS)/Shaikh Ahmad Hassan School of Law (SAHSL) .
The LCAT for admission to the Fall 2014 semester will be held ONLY ONCE on February 09, 2014 at the designated cities of Pakistan. For further details click here
The LUMS Admission Test Registration will be done through the LUMS online application system at: http://admissions.lums.edu.pk. Applicants must successfully submit their complete application and supporting documents on or before stipulated deadlines.
LUMS Admission Test (s) result will not be announced as it is only one part of the overall application evaluation process which also includes other academic parameters.
Applicants residing outside Pakistan and currently studying or having completed their last year of schooling abroad are required to submit official results of the SAT Reasoning Test (SAT I). Applicants need to take the SAT Reasoning Test (SAT I) through College Board, USA latest by January 25, 2014 in order to be considered for admission. SAT scores must be reported to LUMS officially from the testing agency. The college code for reporting SAT scores to LUMS is 0513.
Applicants taking the LCAT and also have taken (or are planning to take) the SAT I are encouraged to submit a copy of their SAT score reports as a part of their admission application. The copy of the scores should be sent along with all other supporting documents or reported directly from the College Board.
III. Submission of a completed application form and supporting documents
Applicants must submit complete online application form on or before January 16, 2014; 5:00 pm (Pakistan StandardTime).
The deadline to submit all supporting documents along with the proof of payment of Admission Application Processing and Test Registration Fee in ONE Package is January 17, 2014; 5:00 pm (Pakistan Standard Time).
Application Processing and LUMS Test Registration Fee
- The application processing fee of Rs 4,700 (for applicants to all programmes)
- The LCAT registration fee2 of Rs 1,750 (if applying to SDSB / MGSHSS / SAHSL)
- The SBASSE Admission Test registration fee of Rs 1,750 (if applying to SBASSE)
After the successful submission of the online application form through the LUMS Online account on or before January 16, 2014; 5:00 pm (PST), applicants will be able to print a system generated Application Processing and LUMS Test Registration Fee payment voucher. The voucher can be paid:
- Online, immediately by visiting http://pay.lums.edu.pk; or
- In cash, the next day by presenting the payment voucher along with the requisite amount at any Allied Bank branch throughout Pakistan.
Proof of Payment
A stamped copy of the payment voucher or a confirmation email of an online banking transaction constitutes proof of payment. Applicants are required to send a copy of payment proof along with all other required supporting documents as ONE package on or before the stipulated deadline.
Applicants must print and paste the “Mailing label” on the envelope before sending it to the LUMS Office of Admissions. Applications or documents received after the stipulated deadline will not be processed.
Click here for detailed document checklist.
Details on Major Preference(s)
Applicants are required to mention their major preference(s) for BS Programme of SBASSE & BA/BSc.(Honours) Programme of MGSHSS & SDSB through the online admission application form. However, allocation of a preferred major cannot be guaranteed at the time of admission. Students are admitted to a specific school from the beginning of the programme and are not assigned a major at the time of admission except those admitted to the BA-LL.B Programme in SAHSL. Allocation of a major will be done according to the school’s policy and mainly determined by the students’ preference(s), their academic performance at LUMS and, in the case of MGSHSS, the capacity constraint in the subject area.
- Students interested in Electrical Engineering are required to have taken Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry in FSc/A’ levels.
- Students can request for a change in their programme/school at the end of first year at LUMS subject to academic performance and availability of space. However, such requests will be considered on a case to case basis by the concerned department.
- All admission decisions taken by the University are final.
- LUMS strives to provide equal access to qualified applicants from all segments of society. Applicants with disabilities can request reasonable accommodations during the admissions process. All such requests must be supported by documentary evidence, including details of previous accommodations obtained during academic career. Please contact the Admissions Office for further details.
- Applicants should be aware that, the presentation of incorrect/false/forged/fraudulent information or document in connection with admission to the LUMS Undergraduate Programme is a criminal offence and the University reserves the right to initiate appropriate action. Action may include, but is not limited to cancellation of an application for admission, an offer of admission, or of an enrollment.
- It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to provide complete, correct and timely information to the Admissions Office. Applications without complete and correct information or documents will not be considered for admission.
- All information submitted through online application should be supported by the provision of attested copies of relevant transcripts and certificates. Any information will not be considered valid if an attested official proof/document is missing. Documents sent/postmarked after January 17, 2014 will not be processed.
- The University reserves the right to change dates and deadlines for admissions. Please keep informed of any changes by visiting www.lums.edu.pk periodically as well as the LUMS online application site.
1 Principal subjects (Full credit courses. Details can be checked with the British Council)
2 Applicants taking both LCAT and SBASSE Admission Test will pay a total of Rs. 3500/- as Test Registration Fee in addition to the application processing fee of Rs. 4700/-.
3 Transcripts and certificates should be attested from School’s administration.
4 Applicants taking their A’ levels or AS level exam in November 2013 are required to submit the final result within three days of its announcement; however, they must provide this information through online application form and by submitting a copy of the “Statement of entry “along with all other supporting documents.