A postdoctoral position in Bioinformatics is available in the Mithani Lab (Computational Genomics and Systems Biology) in the Department of Biology, Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering, Lahore University of Management Sciences. The lab seeks a postdoctoral researcher to carry out genome reconstruction, annotation, comparative genomics and transcriptome analysis using next generation sequencing.
LUMS is a leading university in Pakistan renowned for its multidisciplinary research environment. It regularly attracts researchers and faculty from Europe and the United States for long-term and short-term research and teaching opportunities. The Department of Biology at SBASSE consists of labs conducting cutting edge research in Cell and Stem Cell Biology, Genetics and Epigenetics, Plant Molecular Biology, Molecular Microbiology and Computational Biology. The successful candidate will therefore get the opportunity to train in an interdisciplinary environment under an atmosphere conducive to scientific development.
· PhD in bioinformatics, computer sciences or a closely related field
· Proficiency with a high-level programming language (e.g. C++, Java) and appropriate scripting languages
· Knowledge of and demonstrable experience in a UNIX environment
· Some knowledge of statistical data analysis tools (e.g. MATLAB, R)
· Appropriate knowledge of molecular biology and related ‘omics’ fields (desired but not essential)
· A strong publication record
· Proficiency in the English language
The successful candidate will be highly motivated and independent individual with excellent communication skills.
Interested candidates should include an updated CV, complete contact information for three academic references, and a cover letter describing their past research experiences. Only complete applications will be considered. Please send your applications to Ms Iqra Manzoor (email@example.com).
The position is available initially for a year, full time, with a possible extension for up to three years. A competitive salary will be offered (PKR 70,000 – 80,000 per month depending on experience). LUMS is an equal opportunity employer and offers a dynamic and conducive work environment. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.