- Ph.D. Religious Studies, University of Virginia (In Progress)
- M.A. Religious Studies, University of Virginia
- M.Phil. Philosophy of Religion, University of Cambridge
- M.A. Near Eastern Language and Cultures, Indiana University
- BSc. Hons. Social Sciences, LUMS
Teaching and Research Interests
Essam’s teaching and research interests include the fields of Islamic Studies (Islamic law, Islam in the modern period, and Islam in Pakistan), Religious Studies (theoretical, ethnographic and historical approaches), Philosophy of Religion (pragmatism, hermeneutics and ethics) and Religion and Violence (the study of religious language and behavior).