Dr. Syed obtained his PhD in Business from Macquarie University, Australia in 2008 and completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education at the University of Kent, UK. His PhD research inquired into the relational perspective of cultural diversity management in Australian organisations. Prior to that, he received a Masters of International Business degree from the Western Sydney University, Australia.
Dr. Syed is an Academic Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), UK and Programme Chair of European Academy of Management’s (EURAM) Gender, Race and Diversity in Organisations (GRDO) Special Interest Group. He is a director of the Global Centre for Equality and Human Rights (GCEHR) and coordinator of the South Asian Academy of Management (SAAM).
Dr. Syed was conferred the Sitara-e-Imtiaz on August 14, 2011 by the President of Pakistan for his contributions and public service in the field of equality and diversity management.
He has been associated with University of Huddersfield as Professor of Organisational Behaviour and Diversity Management since 2014, and was with the Kent Business School at the University of Kent prior to that.
Dr. Syed currently serves as a member of several editorial boards, some of which are listed below:
- Member of the Editorial Review Boards of: The Academy of Management Learning and Education, British Journal of Management, Gender in Management
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Boards of: Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, South Asian Journal of Global Business Research
Dr. Syed has an extensive publishing record, having published in scholarly journals including Human Resource Management Journal, British Journal of Management, Business Ethics Quarterly, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Management Learning, Journal of Business Ethics, Gender, Work and Organisation, and Journal of Knowledge Management.
He has also edited several books, including:
- Syed, J., & Ozbilgin, M. (2015). Managing Diversity and Inclusion: An International Perspective. London: Sage
- Kramar, R. & Syed, J. (2012). Human Resource Management in a Global Context: A Critical Approach. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
- Özbilgin, M. and Syed, J. (2010). Managing Gender Diversity In Asia: A Research Companion. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar
His research interests include:
- Diversity Management
- International Human Resource Management
- Business Ethics
- Knowledge Management