Dr. Faiza Ismail has joined LUMS as Assistant Professor-Tenure Track in the Shaikh Ahmed Hassan School of Law (SAHSOL). Dr. Ismail obtained her Ph.D. in Business and Law from University College Dublin (UCD), Ireland. She completed her LLM from Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, and LLB from SM Law College Karachi, Pakistan.
Before joining LUMS, she has worked with the Institute of Business Administration, Karachi as a Research Consultant. Her research examines legal and regulatory issues relevant to IMF, Anti Money Laundering Laws, Cyber Laws in Finance and Islamic Finance in the US, UK, and Pakistan.
Her research interests include:
- Commercial Law
- Legal Reasoning
- International Finance Law
- Islamic Finance Law
- 2022- Second quarter, Travel Grant LUMS, Pakistan
- 2022-First quarter, Faculty Initiative Funds, LUMS
- 2022- First quarter, Travel Grant LUMS Pakistan
- 2019 Travel Grant, LUMS, Pakistan
- 2017 Travel Grant, Higher Education Commission, Pakistan
- 2015 UCD-Industrial Development Authority, Ireland -Matheson
- 2014 Islamic Development Bank, Saudi Arabia.
- 2013-15 Irish Research Council Scholarship.
- 2013-15 UCD-Matheson Islamic Finance Doctoral Award.
- The award was created as a result of Dr. Ismail’s advocacy. She approached University College Dublin (UCD) and Matheson (a Dublin based law firm) to persuade them of the importance of research in the area of Islamic financing. On the basis of her funding proposal, the two entities funded her research on a 50:50 basis. Her research led to the organization of an international conference at UCD, Islamic Finance and Law Conference 2015, in addition to her doctoral thesis
- Faiza Ismail, Islamic Finance in the International Financial Markets of America, Asia and Europe (Routledge 2022)
- Faiza Ismail and Umar Arif, 'Curbing Money Laundering' (2020) The Dawn https://www.dawn.com/news/1560487/curbing-money-laundering#comments
- Faiza Ismail, 'Murabaha Penalty Clause is Riba in Disguise! The Penalty Clause Questions the Deep-rooted Preference for Literal Interpretation Over Substantial Interpretation of Riba' (2020) 35 Arab Law Quarterly 1-18.
- Faiza Ismail, 'CEPC: When Alarm Goes Off' (2019) The Dawn https://www.dawn.com/news/1471610
- Faiza Ismail, 'Islamic Finance in Europe – recent developments in Ireland' (2017) 38 (2) Company Lawyer 48-54.
- Faiza Ismail, 'A Commentary on Islamic Finance case law in the US' (2015) 36 (4) Company Lawyer 123-128.
- Faiza Ismail, 'Islamic Finance Eurozone Headquarter in Ireland – Is enough done to ensure the Middle East Investment streams through the International Financial Services Centre Ireland' (2013) 1 Commercial Law Practitioner 7-17.
- Faiza Ismail, 'Guantanamo Bay – a human disaster as a consequence of disregard to International Laws' (2011) 1 European Law Student Association 109-140.