The Conference on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities serves as an important milestone in LUMS’s aim of promoting safe, secure, accessible, and inclusive spaces for Persons with Disabilities at the Higher Education Level in Pakistan. This highly interactive two-day event will consist of sessions on disability rights and movements.
March 19, 2022 to March 20, 2022
Shaikh Ahmad Hassan School of Law
Organised by the Office of Accessibility and Inclusion, the Conference is designed to raise awareness of the importance of creating a future where persons with disabilities experience equal opportunity and develop policy proposals to chart this path in the specific area of Higher Educational Institutions. The Conference aims to:
- Encourage open discussion and better understanding as well as to breakdown the stigma associated with disabilities.
- Generate inclusive dialogues and interdisciplinary interactions between academia, community organisers, social and legal activists, health care service/providers and government representatives.
- Disseminate good practices about implementation of fundamental human rights for persons with disabilities as set out in the UN standards: independence, freedom of choice, full participation and equal access to political and public life
- Serve as a platform to foster collaboration between various stakeholders to increase understanding and improving accessibility, creating more inclusive spaces for Persons with Disabilities (PWDs), specifically in the area of Higher Education in Pakistan.
The core themes of the conference are:
- Disability and Identity Around the World
- Disabilities as Social and Legal Rights Issue
- Gendered Disabilities and Feminist Approaches to Disability
- Sustainable Development Goals and Status of Implementation for Persons with Disabilities
- Community Activism and Policy Making around Disability Rights in Pakistan
- Lived experiences, Life-writing and Narratives of People with a Disability in Pakistan
To attend the event, please register here
Registrations close March 16, 2022.
Sessions from the event will also be live-streamed on the Office of Accessibility and Inclusion’s Facebook page.
DAY ONE - March 19, 2022
|Welcome Address||9:30 am|
|Plenary Session A: Disability Rights Around the World: Human Rights, Inclusive Communities and CRPD||10:00 am|
|Tea||11: 45 am|
|Plenary Session B: Legal Empowerment through International Legislative Standards||12:00 pm|
|Plenary Session C: Street Law Activity||2:00 pm|
|Plenary Session D: Empowerment and Participation: Persons with Physical, Intellectual and Psychosocial Disabilities||3:00 pm|
|Plenary Session E: The Role of Technology in Increasing Accessibility and Promoting Inclusion||4:30 pm|
|Tea and Tour of Accessibility Lab||5:30 pm|
DAY TWO - March 20, 2022
|Plenary Session A: Implementing Standards to Promote Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Pakistan||10:00 am|
|Plenary Session B: Learning Without Barriers: Inclusive Education and Synergies Between Schools, Families and Caregivers in Pakistan||11:15 am|
|Plenary Session C: Learning Without Barriers: Inclusive Education and the Intersection of HEIs, Parents and Educators in Pakistan||2:00 pm|
|Concurrent Working Session D: Social Inclusion and Development: Analysing Pakistan’s Domestic Legislation Impacting Persons with Disabilities||3:15 pm|
|Concurrent Working Session E: Domestic Legislative Enforcement in Higher Education Institutions in Pakistan: Reviewing HEC Policy for Students with Disabilities at Higher Education||3:15 pm|
|Concurrent Working Session F: Employment Strategies Specifically for Persons with Disabilities: Reviewing the Employment Act for Disability Rights Pakistan||3:15 pm|
|Plenary Session G: Gendered Disabilities and Feminist Approach to Disabilities||4:45 pm|
|Concurrent Session I: Showcasing Research in Disability Legal Studies||5:45 pm|
|Concurrent Session II: Showcasing Research in Disability Legal Studies||5:45 pm|
|Concluding Plenary Session||6:45 pm|